Customized ConsultingSchoolRise USA

Literacy Instruction

Balanced Literacy Instruction: A Teacher's Resource Book

Au, K. H., Carroll, J. H., & Scheu, J. A. (2001). Balanced literacy instruction: a teacher’s resource book. Norwood, MA: Christopher-Gordan Publishers.

Here are 90+ topics presented as brief articles, many featuring the thinking of leading experts. They are presented so that busy teachers can read them in one sitting. 85 percent of the pieces are practical in nature, while the other 15 percent feature the thinking of leading authorities in the field from Lev Vygotsky to Donald Graves to Violet Harris, among many others. Available for Purchase »

Book Club for Middle School

Raphael, T. E., Kehus, M., & Damphousse, K. (2001). Book club for middle school. Lawrence, MA: Small Planet Communications.

Employing a delicate blend of theory and practical advice, this book shows how to engage adolescent learners with literature and help them assume increased responsibility for their own learning. Quality literature forms the foundation of the program. Students receive strategy instruction, write in response to the literature, and learn to participate in meaningful peer discussions. Carefully modeled on classroom research, the program provides specific examples and detailed lesson plans. Available for Purchase »

Book Club: A Literature-Based Curriculum (2nd Edition)

Raphael, T., Pardo, L. S., & Highfield, K. (2002). Book club: a literature-based curriculum. Lawrence, MA: Small Planet Communications.

Completely revised and updated, this new edition brings fresh insights to the popular Book Club program. Based on the latest classroom research, it helps teachers engage all students with age-appropriate literature, and its unique approach to student-led book discussions is supported by a full range of literacy activities. Available for Purchase »

Defying Gravity: Literacy Reform in Urban Schools

Raphael, T., Weber, C., Goldman, S., Sullivan, M. P., & George, M. (2005). Defying gravity: Literacy reform in urban schools. Journal of Literacy Research, 37(3), 267–286.

National Reading Conference Oscar Causey Award Presentation, Albuquerque, New Mexico. National Reading Conference Yearbook, 2010. Read Full Article »

Helping High Schools Meet Higher Standards

Au, K. H. (2013). Helping High Schools Meet Higher Standards. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 56(7), 535–539.

Educational policy in the U.S. currently centers on college and career readiness, with the spotlight on high schools to meet higher expectations for students’ literacy achievement. A focused, disciplined approach to literacy improvement is recommended, based on three major actions. Read Full Article »

Improving the School Literacy Program: Developing Coherence in Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessments

Weber, Catherine M. (2013). Improving the School Literacy Program: Developing coherence in curriculum, instruction, and assessments. In B. M. Taylor & N. K. Duke (Eds.) Handbook of Effective Literacy Instruction: Research-based Practice K-8 (pp. 486-509). New York, New York: Guilford Press.

In an era of high-stakes testing, there is a strong push for data-based decision making;
however, it can be difficult for teachers and schools to know which data to collect
and how to use them to increase students' literacy achievement levels. To improve the
school reading program, educators must work together as a professional learning community
(PLC) to build coherence within and across grade levels to ensure success for
all students. This chapter begins with an overview of research related to schoolwide
curricular coherence and assessment data. It then unpacks ways that school teams can
work together to improve literacy teaching and learning schoolwide. Read Full Article »

Literacy Achievement and Diversity: Keys to Success for Students, Teachers, and Schools (Multicultural Education Series)

Au, K. H. (2011). Literacy achievement and diversity: keys to success for students, teachers, and schools. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.

This book highlights keys to success that educators can use to close the literacy achievement gap. This includes culturally responsive instruction in a setting where educators have a strong sense of community and purpose. Available for Purchase »